2 tsp olive oil
5 links of turkey italian sausage, removed from casings
8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced finely
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15 oz low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (plus extra for garnish)
1/2 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
3 cups of mushroom marinara (or store bought sauce)
12 jumbo pasta shells, cooked per instructions (I had left over filling so I cooked for shells)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat.
3. Once hot, add the turkey italian sausage, and cook until crumbled. Add the mushrooms and onions then saute until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.
4. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
5. In a large bowl combine the ricotta, the mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, spinach, fresh basil, nutmeg, salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
6. Mix thoroughly then add the sausage, mushroom, and onion saute then combine. Taste mixture and re-season if needed.
7. Pour 1 1/2 cups of marinara in the bottom of a baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
8. Place the 12 cooked shells in the pan. Stuff each shell with the ricotta mixture.
9. Pour the remaining sauce over the stuffed shells.
10. Cover with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes. Top with fresh chopped basil and parmesan.