5 Italian sausage links, casings removed
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
1 pinch of red pepper flakes
5 cloves garlic, minced
20 oz ricotta cheese
1/2 cup baby spinach, chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (divided)
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
4 cups of marinara sauce
Lasagna noodles (no boil)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the Italian sausage, making sure to break it up into crumbles.
3. Add the onions and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Once the meat is brown and the onion is tender, add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently.
4. Remove from heat and drain any grease.
5. In a large bowl, add ricotta, egg, spinach, basil, parsley, oregano, nutmeg, salt and pepper, 1/4 cup or Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 a cup of mozzarella cheese. Combine until mixed thoroughly.
6. Layer a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay however many lasagna noodles you need to cover the bottom of the pan.
7. Spread half of the ricotta mixture on the noodles; add another layer of noodles; spread a but more sauce on top of the noodles followed by the Italian sausage; add another layer of noodles then spread the last half of the ricotta on top.
8. Finish with a layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a bit more dried oregano on top of the cheese.
9. Baked covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let the lasagna cool for several minutes before slicing and serving.